[lbo-talk] Churchill - the issue is academic freedom

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Feb 19 15:21:55 PST 2005

Chuck0 wrote:

>I've read Churchill's works and they are well-documented. I wouldn't
>be surprised if he gets a few citations wrong here and there, but
>which academic doesn't make mistakes? This is just so trivial.

Check out Jon Wiener's Historians in Trouble. In the late 70s, Allan Weinstein, ex-head of the National Endowment for Democracy, wrote a book "proving" Alger Hiss was a commie rat, claiming he based it on interviews with Russian sources. Victor Navasky, then just taking over the Nation, called up several of these alleged sources and said that they said nothing like what Weinstein quoted them as saying. When challenged, Weinstein refused to share his tapes or transcripts - a violation of the rules of the oral history trade. Weinstein was just confirmed by the Senate as National Archivist.

Doug