[lbo-talk] Churchill - the issue is academic freedom

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 19 17:41:14 PST 2005

> John Thornton wrote:
> >I doubt I could find a better example of opportunism were I to go searching
> >for one. It
> >must be quite an ego boost to know how, in spite of criticism from the left
> >and support
> >from the right, you're furthering the cause of progressives everywhere and
> >everyone
> >else is simply too dense to see the wisdom in your path.
>
> Not everyone is too dense to see the wisdom of telling the truth and setting
> the
> record straight. I've received far more support from the scholarly community
> than I have criticism. I'm not surprised to find myself demonized by some
> for correcting the record on Churchill's fabricated genocide. I did rather
> expect
> that to happen, and that it may well hurt me on my next job search. I
> wouldn't
> be surprised if I get hurt by this controversy more than Churchill does.
>
> So "opportunism" is not the right word, unless you believe that a vast
> right wing
> conspiracy is paying me off somehow. Aside from the critical comments on my
> research that some people have emailed me--and that some of this list's
> subscribers
> have generously posted--thanks guys--I haven't yet reaped any personal
> benefit from
> this. I expect to get even more grief from the "holocaust denier" ad
> hominemists
> than I have already. You're shooting at the messenger here.
>
> Thomas Brown

You are not exactly demonized here but that doesn't mean you have much support either. Martyrdom is best left to actual martyrs. You are receiving criticism not for pointing out issues of historical accuracy but for timing it to coincide with a witch-hunt. Stating you bring this to the forefront at this time because you fear it would be ignored at a later date demonstrates that you believe that the questions you pose do not have enough merit to accomplish much on their own. They must be accompanied by an already existing hysteria in order to be noticed. This is the definition of opportunism. No payment from anyone is necessary.

Why you state that you've received for more support from the scholarly community and yet you expect to be "punished" more than Churchill is a mystery.

The fact remains if you had brought this to my attention two years from now after the current stink with Churchill would have probably blown over I would have welcomed it. Attacking a professor when's already struggling against a right-wing assault is lending aid to the right-wing in their assault not only against Churchill but against tenure too. I am surprised it isn't obvious to you but then most people have a hell of a difficult time realizing their mistakes and an even greater time publicly admitting them.

John Thornton