[lbo-talk] Terms of Debate was Terrain of Struggle was O'Reilly vs Churchill

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 19 22:19:19 PST 2005

> The problem here is when people replace reasoned argument for or
> against a claim with imputations about the speaker's motives. In
> my view, this is a social problem (I'm serious): if
> somebody claims X, a very common response in our society is
> "X can't be true, because the speaker has motive Z". This is--
> put bluntly--illogical reasoning, because the motive of the
> speaker cannot validate nor undermine the claim.
>
> Perhaps I'm sensitized to this because I hear it a lot in
> my courses: if an eyewitness is confident that he accurately
> remembers the details of a crime, and he is not motivated by
> hatred or racial prejudice, then, students typically assume,
> when can trust his testimony. This tends to happen even
> after we spend a week in class going over research that
> illustrates how easily memory is reconstructed, revised and
> unintentionally fabricated!
>
> In short: research on motives is a valid scientific research
> topic, but imputing motives to evaluate a claim is a waste of
> time.
>
> Miles

Nobody said to replace reasoned argument with such claims but in many instances it can shed light on research and cannot always be considered "a waste of time" as you say.

Take the debate over anthropomorphic climate change research. Most people cannot be assumed to have the necessary background information to know which researchers may have more valid or less valid claims to support their projections. If we look at the motivation for their research and find that without exception all deniers of climate change have their research paid for by extractive polluting industries who seek to forestall legislation and the research that supports the claims of climate change have no similar agenda we can use this information to help guide us. Research by pharmaceutical companies is facing a similar issue today. The motivation behind the researcher has an effect on their conclusions and pretending otherwise is dangerous.

You cannot always just objectively look at facts because you may not have the necessary background to fully understand subtle distinctions within a given area of study. No one can be an expert on everything and people cannot necessarily be expected to attain the level of expertise necessary to make a decision based solely on data presented by a researcher. However imperfect we have to use the tools we have at our disposal and this is one of them. An admittedly misused tool frequently but that fact hardly invalidates its application everywhere. Real world decisions are made under messier circumstances than one finds in a lab.

John Thornton