[lbo-talk] Terrain of Struggle was O'Reilly vs Churchill

snit snat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Sun Feb 20 10:32:47 PST 2005

some of the things you list, there, however are legitimate forms of scholarly analysis and people take them quite seriously. Those who do, especially in sociologically inclined disciplines, where psychic process are understood as intimately related to social process at the meta- and meso-levels of social analysis. E.g., the Frankfurt schools work on "the authoritarian personality" or some Marxist-Feminist work on the way certain types of psyches evolve out of a culture in which women are the primary caregivers. An entire body of feminist scholarship rests on this analysis, arguing that men have more separative psyches than women's more connected psyches because of the nature of the family _as an institution_ in the U.S. These pscyhic tendencies, then, reproduce larger structural systems. I'm thinking here, also, of work that follows Piaget, Kohlberg, Gilligan _and_ their critics.

The issue, as Doug pointed out, is that some people dismiss these approaches out of hand, often because they simply don't understand them or aren't familiar with the scholarship. They assume that people are looking at psychic structures in the absence of an examination of larger social structures -- groups, institution, large-scale social processes. This isn't the case, however, and these authors, as well as philosophers of social science who engage in meta-analyses of their efforts (Roy Bhaskar comes to mind), make a compelling case as to the relationship between individual and society. The entire discipline of sociology, for instance, demands that its practitioner take a stand on that question. There are different answers, and some of them are more in line with a Marxist analysis than not.

Whether you find them compelling or not is another question, but you would need to undermine them, not by dismissing them out of hand because you are unfamiliar with the body of literature, but by pointing to evidence and other forms of rational critique which actually addresses the arguments in their entirety.

Finally, there is the practical problem of a rightwing that doesn't play by these rules. The question then is, should we be purists and refuse to play their game? I'm inclined to that answer, myself. But, then, I think we obviously need education -- like the media analysis Wiki Chuck0 and I once discussed. Which would be a fart in a hurricane, really, but it's still a way of building solidarity and creating the social movement infrastructure we'll need as we make progress.

We'd need educative spaces because most people don't recognize logical fallacy. Partly, that's because they don't know the difference between scholarship on the topic I mention above and the pseudo-scholarship that's popularized by the likes of John "men are from mars, women from venus" Gray. Partly, that's because they don't know what consistutes argument that doesn't rely on logical fallacy. Most people think it's perfectly reasonable to look for hypocrisy in order to dismiss someon's claims.

And, as Michael Pollak pointed out wrt Moore's F911, Moore successfully turned the Busheviks weapons against them. Do we go with what works? If you disagree -- as I do sometimes-- then you kind of have to demonstrate why it doesn't work in the long run or demonstrate how it's damanging to our cause in the long run. Or, simply appeal to some non-consequentialist argument to avoid that ethical quagmire -- which only leads to its own difficulties. But, of course, there's the pragmatists' attempts to obviate the problem.... Or, the pomos. And lord knows, they are anathema.

Kelley