[lbo-talk] Beria question

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 20 16:19:05 PST 2005

Well, there is Khrushchev's memoirs, both volumes, which are obviously highly biased against Beria. There was a huge (now obsolete) literature on transition in Soviet style systems, which goes over the facts as knwon before the opened the archives. I haven't kept up with anything since, but this bio of Beria is probably good because Amy Knight is a fine scholar:

http://www.pupress.princeton.edu/titles/5279.html

Here is the Amozon link.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0691010935/104-4686791-8279130

If you read it, tell me what you think.

My understanding is basically this: Beria was evil sadistic rapist and torturer who was also a consummate opportunist. With his master dead, he tried to make a play for personal and political survival by trying to recast himself as a reformer. As did all of Stalin's top lieutants. Khrushchev came out on top, despite a record that aws in many ways almost as wicked and bloody as Beria's because he really was a reformer -- he's been an opportunistic tyrant's henchman, but wasn't a bad guy all the way through. On the contrary. Beria, hwoever, was only an opportunistic reformer, was thoroughly hated by the elite and the leadership as a symbol of Stalinist tyranny (most dangerous, personally, to the Party elite), and was personally hated because of his serial rapes of everyone's wives, sisters, a nd daughters. If there ever was anyone for whom it was true that four walls are three too many, it was Beria.

But taht may not represent current scholarship.