[lbo-talk] Lynne Stewart speaks

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Feb 21 19:51:50 PST 2005

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org, Mon Feb 21 18:24:16 PST 2005:
>Michael Dawson wrote:
>>4. Like Churchill, she has nothing to apologize to the left for.
>
>-Not right now, no. Why is this so hard to understand? They're the
>-leading edge of an intensified crackdown, and respectability is no
>-defense.
>
>This is what I just don't buy. I'm not out publicly washing my
>hands of Stewart, but I don't buy that she's the leading edge of the
>crackdown. To be honest, I think the whole focus on Stewart as an
>individual reflects a pervasive racism that validates a white lawyer
>over the many other people being sent overseas for secret torture,
>all the immigrants being held without lawyers for years, and a range
>of other mostly non-white folks who are on the real leading edge of
>authoritarianism in this country.

Attacks on lawyers like Lynne Stewart are, of course, attacks on those who are represented by them, many of whom are immigrants and/or people of color.

>She had a trial by a New York City jury -- which even she admits was
>as good as she could get -- and they still looked at the evidence,
>deliberated for weeks for full consideration, and decided she had
>done wrong. This wasn't a railroading trial, so at some point you
>are at complete war with democracy and the idea that one should
>respect a fair jury's deliberations.

Jurors can be pressured into supporting the government against their own conscience:

"The anonymous juror, referred to as No. 7, could be seen wiping tears from her eyes as the verdict was read. And when the individual members of the jury were asked if the verdicts as announced by the foreman were accurate, the juror looked stricken, and twice only mouthed the word 'yes'" (Mark Hamblett, "N.Y. Lawyer Lynne Stewart Convicted of Helping Terrorists," New York Law Journal, <http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1107783339751>, February 11, 2005).

It's clear that convicting Lynne Stewart and her co-defendants conflicted with some jurors' consciences.

Lance Murdoch lancemurdoch at gmail.com, Mon Feb 21 19:15:46 PST 2005:
>Yaa, he's so horrible the CIA is who brought him to this country.
>Now the same government is prosecuting his lawyer, Grandma Stewart.

"The [20-year veteran FBI field] agent pointed out that the sheikh [Omar Abdel Rahman] had been granted a tourist visa, and later a green card, despite the fact that he was on a State Department terrorist watch-list that should have barred him from the country" (Robert I. Friedman, "The CIA and the Sheik," _The Village Voice_, March 30, 1993).

Until recently, Rahman must have been a CIA asset. -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * OSU-GESO: <http://www.osu-geso.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>