[lbo-talk] Terrain of Struggle was O'Reilly vs Churchill

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 21 22:38:04 PST 2005

> To the extent that disclosing "potential conflict of interest" leads
> people to reject a message without actually assessing the content,
> the imputation of a "conflict of interest" is actually
> counterproductive and irrational.
>
> Miles

Which is a very different statement than the following:

> Miles Jackson :
> Call me a well indoctrinated child of the Enlightenment, but the
> motives of someone who is providing information or a specific argument
> are completely irrelevant to a critical and rational assessment of the
> person's assertions.

Who was arguing that motives trump all data? No one here that I read. One could just as easily say to the reject any mention of conflict of interest and only to disclose the raw data used is actually counterproductive and irrational too but no one is arguing that position either. Motives matter. Sometimes very little and sometimes a great deal. It is situational.

John Thornton -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20050221/ad69681b/attachment.htm>