[lbo-talk] Now I understand Marx!

Jim Westrich westrich at nodimension.com
Tue Feb 22 07:51:09 PST 2005

Quoting amadeus amadeus <amadeus482000 at yahoo.com>:

> I'm unclear about which Maoist sect issued this
> directive:
> >http://mediamogul.seas.upenn.edu/pennsound/authors/365/365-Days-Project-01-06-red-shadow-understanding-marx-1975.mp3

This is fairly interesting as I am currently in the process of "re-mastering" that Red Shadow album "Live from the Panacea Hilton" and will be making a number of CDs for the original band and some kitsch-loving groupies.

Red Shadow is fairly infamous in certain circles (and I confess that I know the female singer credited as Brandie Brandt). Red Shadow wasn't actually a sect, but were Boston-area activists/academics that had a community group that helped get seed money for small progressive groups (that group was a precursor to today's Haymarket Fund) Red Shadow also had Ev Ehrlich (who worked in the Clinton administration and is policy guy) as the doctrinal leader.

Also, if you think the "Understanding Marx" is bad you obviously haven't been forced to sing "Ass in the Class" (also on that album) "featured" at lefty hootenannies.

If anyone is interested in a "re-mastered" version of Red Shadow's *Live at the Panacea Hilton* complete with revamped packaging (I am adding material from their original press release) let me know. They actually released a 2nd alboum which I have never heard because "Brandie" had been purged by that time for "revisionism". There is also a possibility that there will be a CD "re-release" party featuring some of the original artists, but that is still up in the air at this time.

Jim