[lbo-talk] Re: Greg Palast on Hunter Thompson=Deep Throat??

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 15:43:16 PST 2005

----- Original Message ----- From: Celi Ben To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 3:02 PM Subject: [lbo-talk] Re: Greg Palast on Hunter Thompson=Deep Throat??

<...> Hey, has anyone heard the rumor spread around on blogs that Hunter Thompson was deep throat? I'm supposed to be finishing school so I barely have time for that, but it could explain why people who have had so much energy to research the subject (as opposed to doing work on modern, ongoing conspiracies) haven't been able to quite figure it out, but they strongly suspect Pat Buchanan or Rehnquist. I've favored the Pat Buchanan explanation, but the internet was saying that the deep throat was supposed to be sick recently, and Thompson was friends with Buchanan. The rummor was that Bill Moyers privately said to someone that Buchanan was preparing a statement about the matter. ~~

I had that thought because Romenesko @ poynter claimed that Ben Bradlee told him that he was writing an obit in advance for "deep throat", who apparently is seriously ill... less than a month ago. Bradlee was the story editor for Woodward and Bernstein.

Only four people, Ben Bradlee, W & B, and Deep Throat himself. ... know's who it was.

I went looking for a Ben Bradlee obit for HST. No dice.