[lbo-talk] Lynne Stewart speaks

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Feb 22 17:57:45 PST 2005

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org, Tue Feb 22 13:00:28 PST 2005:
>It is precisely because Stewart aligned her politics with her client
>that the issue of "material support" could arise.

Political views of defense counsels ought to be irrelevant to trials. Making much of attorneys' own political views, especially when the views in question are sharply at odds with the government's, is an element in state repression of political oppositions, as it was in the age of what is called McCarthyism:

Worse than the loss of clients and income was the possibility that defending the party might land them in jail or get them disbarred. The lawyers who represented the Dennis defendants were not the only attorneys to be charged with contempt of court as the result of their efforts during a Communist trial. Nor were they the only lawyers threatened with disbarment because of their politics. As the testimony of a Bay Area attorney reveals, the problems such lawyers faced made it particularly difficult for the protagonists in anti-Communist proceedings to find legal representation, especially if they did not want a known left-winger. Some of the defendants in the second round of Smith Act trials were rejected by more than two hundred attorneys.

Unlike the academic world and film industry, which were under outside pressure, the legal profession undertook to oust its tainted members on its own. The initiatives came from conservative attorneys associated with the anti-Communist network. The American Bar Association (ABA) set up a Special Committee on Communist Tactics, Strategy, and Objectives to ensure that alleged subversives did not penetrate the legal profession. The association also adopted resolutions against allowing Communists and, later, Fifth Amendment witnesses to practice law. These resolutions, coming as they did from the organized voice of a highly respected profession, carried considerable weight. To implement them, national and local bar associations worked closely with HUAC, the FBI, and the rest of the anti-Communist network to screen applicants and begin disbarment proceedings against the more radical members. Few succeeded.

Important members of the legal establishment (and not just the targeted attorneys) opposed these ousters. After all, lawyers did have a traditional commitment to and understanding of civil liberties, as well as a professional responsibility to represent all types of clients. By the mid-1950s some eminent lawyers were concerned about protecting the public's right to counsel and refused to countenance political disbarments. Even more important, in a few instances local bar associations and attorneys from major law firms in cities like Philadelphia, Denver, and Cleveland had begun to take on Communist cases. Such gestures, coming from leading members of the bar, contributed to the lessening of the McCarthyist furor--even if they did not necessarily win their clients' acquittal. (Ellen Schrecker, The Age of McCarthyism: A Brief History with Documents, Boston: St. Martin's Press, <http://www.english.uiuc.edu/maps/mccarthy/schrecker5.htm>, 1994)</blockquote>

Also, Lynne Stewart's view in question is a protected belief that is held by many and has been "shared at various times by the English, French, Israelis, and maybe the Americans," especially government officials, as Michael Tigar noted:

60 See, e.g., Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights, and Labor, U.S. Department of State, _Egypt: Country Reports on Human Rights Practices - 1999_ (Feb. 23, 2000), _available at_ http://www.state.gov/g/drl/rls/hrrpt/1999/408pf.htm (Reply Decl. Exh. A); Human Rights Watch, _Egypt: Trials of Civilians in Military Courts Violate International Law; Executions Continue, No Appeal of Death Sentences to Higher Court_, vol. 5, issue 3 (Jul. 1993), _available at_ http://www.hrw.org/reports/1993/egypt (Reply Decl. Exh. C). 61 Secretary of State Colin Powell recently met with Egypt's intelligence chief Omar Suleiman to discuss concerns over human rights in Egypt. U.S. Department of State, State Department Noon Briefing, (Dec. 11, 2003), available at http://usinfo.state.gov/topical/pol/terror/texts/03121102.htm. 62 Mtn. Tr. At 14-15.

("Motion to Dismiss and Memo of Support," filed on January 23, 2004, <http://www.lynnestewart.org/StewartMtnDismissMemoSupport.pdf>, pp. 44-45)</blockquote>

As a matter of fact, Rahman's view was regarded favorably by the US government (for which I presented evidence: Robert I. Friedman, "The CIA and the Sheik," _The Village Voice_, March 30, 1993; and Stanley Reed, "The Battle for Egypt," _Foreign Affairs_, September-October, 1993 [at <http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/pipermail/lbo-talk/Week-of-Mon-20050221/003838.html>]), not only during the US-Soviet struggle over Afghanistan but well beyond that period in history. Here is another intriguing piece of forgotten news:

>>Jurors can be pressured into supporting the government against
>>their own conscience: "The anonymous juror, referred to as No. 7,
>>could be seen wiping tears from her eyes as the verdict was read.
>>And when the individual members of the jury were asked if the
>>verdicts as announced by the foreman were accurate, the juror
>>looked stricken, and twice only mouthed the word 'yes'" It's clear
>>that convicting Lynne Stewart and her co-defendants conflicted with
>>some jurors' consciences.
>
>That doesn't indicate pressure. It's actually expected given they
>were deliberating for weeks. It was obviously a hard decision and
>they no doubt felt that even if the law said one thing, they didn't
>like convicting Stewart under it. But none of this makes the jury
>process necessarily suspect; my point on the case is that's it's a
>tough call for a lot of good progressive folks, and accusing anyone
>who doesn't jump up in Stewart's defense as a rightwinger/Horowitz
>type is being dumb. It's not a good poster child case for that
>reason, since a lot of people will feel she did something wrong,
>even if the sentence may be too harsh.

Some jurors at the very least didn't think that what Stewart did constituted material support for terrorism and merited the punishments of disbarment and 20-plus years in prison.

Moreover, Special Administrative Measures and the way Department of Justice defines the scope of "legal representation" curtail the protection provided by the Sixth Amendment.

What is outside the scope of legal representation? No one knows, and the DOJ is not saying, as the SAM's are vaguely worded. But attorneys are not only allowed, but also duty-bound to provide broad services to their clients, as advisor, counselor, and intermediary between the client and the government.

According to Rule 1.2 of the ABA's Model Rules of Professional Conduct, lawyers have a duty to render "candid" advice not only about the law, but also about "economic, social, and political factors that may be relevant to the client's situation." (Elaine Cassel, "When Representing An Accused Terrorist Can Mean The Lawyer Risks Jail, Too," <http://writ.news.findlaw.com/cassel/20021008.html>, October 8, 2002)</blockquote>

Defendants and convicts can still have access to lawyers, but only if lawyers serve the government's interest first and their clients' interest second. -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * OSU-GESO: <http://www.osu-geso.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>