[lbo-talk] Re: Poor, white and pissed II

Brian Charles Dauth magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Tue Feb 22 20:58:16 PST 2005

Dear List:

Charles posted:

> But here in this particular heartland, once I step away
from the fundamentalist crazies, I am simply not seeing the homophobia so widely proclaimed by the liberal establishment.

Makes me wonder why my friends are leaving Virginia and other parts South if they can live such a complete life there. Maybe because they are taunted? Because they cannot walk down the street or sit in a diner and hold hands? TJ just returned from South Carolina (he visited his parents who are well, thanks for asking), and he says he could never go back and that many of his friends want to leave and live in a place where they can breathe.

> Hell, we've got three gay guys and at least one lesbian who
hang out at my local redneck tavern and they all are right in there drinking and teasing and jiving with everyone else.

Ah, pass for a redneck het and you are okay. Must remind TJ to act more white.

> I would concede however, that homosexual marriage, was
just a bit too much for some of the working class to accept in the 2004 elections.

Some of the working class?!? Guess this guy doesn't read polls.

> It was the visuals.

Now I understand. Blame the victims. All those loving, happy queers were too much for the delicate sensibilities of working class hets. Heaven forfend that he realize it was the hate working class hets carry around for queers and are but too happy to put into legislation and amendments. All those amendments banning same-sex marraige really didn't pass. The media got it wrong.

> The working class people in my town are angry, but not
especially angry at Queer Eye For the Straight Guy, or unseen fetuses.

Not especially angry? Meaning that they are just run-of-the- mill angry. That's a load off my mind. Guess so long as we amuse them on tv, queers are okay by hets, but we better not demand equality. That would be going too far.

> . . . who quietly disdain working people and their uncultured
ways.

The only thing I disdain is their heterosexism and homophobia. If they want alliances and solidarity then they must be willing to come correct on same-sex marriage. If not, they reap what they sow. Their hate is what causes division, not our queerness.

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister