[lbo-talk] conference on women & the media

Liza Featherstone lfeather at panix.com
Wed Feb 23 12:58:34 PST 2005

[If anyone's in or around Boston...this is my first year at this conference but I've heard great things about it]

The Center for New Words presents:

W A M ! 2 0 0 5 WOMEN & the MEDIA: Taking Our Place in the Public Conversation

***March 18-20, 2005 * Stata Center @ MIT, Cambridge, MA ***

2005 KEYNOTES BY:

Medea BENJAMIN Daisy HERNANDEZ Maria HINOJOSA Jill NELSON

TIRED of what you hear on the nightly news -- and the ABSENCE OF WOMEN sources, speakers, pundits, and subjects? Ready to see progressive women's ideas and lives treated as if WE MATTER?

Then JOIN US AT WAM!, an annual conference where progressive readers, listeners, activists, authors, students, journalists, and concerned citizens meet, share skills, and strategize to INCREASE WOMEN'S INFLUENCE IN THE MEDIA.

DON'T MISS THESE TWO DAYS of workshops, keynotes, and connections. From the opening talk to the closing reception, you'll be TAKING YOUR OWN PLACE among women determined to change the conversation.

Register NOW: http://www.centerfornewwords.org/wam2005.html

THE WEEKEND WILL FEATURE:

Friday, March 18

7:00 PM VIP RECEPTION with WAM! Keynoters (An intimate kickoff cocktail reception with all four of this year's keynote speakers-- see registration for details & fees.)

8:00 PM Free opening keynote talk with MEDEA BENJAMIN

*****

Saturday, March 19

8:30 AM - 7:30 PM

Continental BREAKFAST Keynote talks by MARIA HINOJOSA & JILL NELSON Morning BREAKOUT SESSIONS Networking LUNCH Two afternoon BREAKOUT SESSIONS WINE & CHEESE reception

*****

Sunday, March 20

10:00 AM - 1:00 PM

Action Brunch with DAISY HERNANDEZ: Taking the Next Steps Conference WRAP-UP

Featured SPEAKERS & PANELISTS will include:

Malaika ADERO (Senior editor at Atria Books)

Monica BRADY-MYEROV (reporter, WBUR/NPR)

Lakshmi CHAUDRY (senior editor, AlterNet)

Christine CUPAIUOLO (author of ms. musings & editor of poppolitics.com)

Liza FEATHERSTONE (contributing editor, The Nation, & author of Selling Women Short)

E.J. GRAFF (Author, What Is Marriage For?; senior correspondent, The American Prospect; contributing writer, Out magazine)

Renee GRAHAM (writer & columnist for The Boston Globe & contributor to NPR's "Here & Now")

Rita HENLEY-JENSEN (editor in chief, Women's eNews)

Sarwat HUSAIN (Publisher/Editor-in-Chief, Ali-Ittihaad)

Janine JACKSON (program director, FAIR, & host/producer of FAIR's radio show, CounterSpin)

Lisa JERVIS (publisher & cofounder, bitch: a feminist response to pop culture)

Rosalyn LEMIEUX (Webmaster and online organizer, MoveOn.org)

Sonali KOLHATKAR (host & co-producer, Uprising, & co-director of the Afghan Women's Mission)

Susan RYAN-VOLLMAR (Editor-in-Chief, Bay Windows)

Jep SHARP (Reporter, BBC, PRI & WGBH)

Noy THRUPKAEW (senior correspondent, The American Prospect)

Just to name a FEW! Read the complete current list of presenters online: http://www.centerfornewwords.org/wampanelists2005.html

Planned BREAKOUT SESSIONS will include:

>Being in the Media¹s Eye: From Culture Wars to Lesbian Weddings

>Building a Better Noise Machine

>Building a Blog: How to Join the Online Feminist Revolution in 90 Minutes or
Less

>Housewives, Swans, and the Rest of Us: Where's the Feminism in Pop Culture?

>Global Reach: Reporting on Women's Rights as Human Rights

>Making Our Opinions Matter: Women of Color in the Media

>Making the Media Machine Work for Your Organization

>Media Justice Now

>Queering Independent Media

>What in the World Are They Talking About? Analyzing Conservative Media Bias

>Women's Voices in Community Radio: On the Air and Behind the Scenes

Plus DOZENS more! Read the complete current list of planned sessions online: http://www.centerfornewwords.org/wamsessions2005.html

COST & REGISTRATION:

VIP Keynote Reception Friday, March 18 @ 7:00 PM $35 before March 1, $45 March 1-17, $55 On-Site

Women & The Media: Taking Our Place in the Public Conversation Friday, March 18 - Sunday, March 20, 2005

$95 before March 1, $120 March 1-17, $150 On-Site Students: $35 before March 1, $45 March 1-17, $55 On-Site

Work-study and Scholarships for those with limited income available - contact Andi via email or phone: 617-876-5310

WAM! registration includes entrance to all keynotes, workshops, and panels, as well as Saturday breakfast, box lunch, Saturday evening wine and cheese, and Sunday brunch. (Please note -- additional registration is required to attend Friday's VIP reception with Medea Benjamin, Maria Hinojosa, Jill Petty and Daisy Hernandez.)

CHANGE STARTS NOW. Take your place in the public conversation.

Register for WAM!2005 today: http://www.centerfornewwords.org/wam2005.html or call 617-876-5310.

ORGANIZER: The Center for New Words is committed to a simple mission: use the power and creativity of words to strengthen the voice of progressive and marginalized women in society. To find out more, contact CNW at 617-876-5310 or cnw at centerfornewwords.org, or visit us on the web at http://www.centerfornewwords.org.

CO-SPONSOR: MIT Program in Women's Studies. On the web at http://www.mit.edu/womens-studies/www/

FOOD SPONSOR: Whole Foods Markets -- 3 Cambridge Stores at Fresh Pond, River Street, & Prospect Street. On the web at http://www.wholefoods.com

________________________ Center for New Words Where Women's Words Matter

617-876-5310 www.centerfornewwords.org

186 Hampshire Street Cambridge, MA 02139