[lbo-talk] [ Apparently Wierd Inconsistencies ]

knowknot at mindspring.com knowknot at mindspring.com
Wed Feb 23 13:14:27 PST 2005

Turbulo at aol.com wrote:

> I commonly turn to motives when arguments fail

> the rational test, but the person I'm arguing with

> persists in them. That's why ascribing motives is

> usually considered insulting, and why the whole

> thing is such a hot-button issue.

* * *

> [I]t may not not be just a question of lack of

> communication between liberals and workers, or

> explaining working-class reality to liberals. It

> may also be the case that their ideology, while

> less hostile than that of the Republican right,

> represents a class interest different from and

> in the end opposed to that of workers.

What are the class interests of liberals in the end opposed to that of workers comparatively less hostily to the class interests of workers thatn those of the Republican right?

What (if there is one) is the rational test to which you refer in the second statement above by which the persons to whom you refer as workers perceive their working-class reality as warranting them being less hostile to the Republican right (or, for that mattern to any Republicans) than to whatever you mean by liberals?

Or are you ascribing a motives and, if so, how to you claim to have measured them?