[lbo-talk] Poor, white and pissed II

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Feb 23 13:51:44 PST 2005

Travis:
> Social relations may be relatively fixed but how one understands those
> relations need not be. This is why organization and education among the
> working class is a class necessity. There is no way around the hard, and
at
> times impossible, work of organization and education.

I agree. The point I was arguing that you cannot win these folks over with a campaign or two - in fact the current generation is probably lost. You need to aim at their kids.

Another point - I am a friend of unions, but unionism per se is not necessarily progressive. US unions were strongholds of racism and later anti-communism. I would argue that it was so because bashing of Blacks, liberals, immigrants and foreigners had always a strong appeal to Americans - at lest since the Know Nothing movement.

> What this article points to is the fact that organization and education of
> the working class is a long term project where any intellectual who wants
> be invovled must throw their lot in with the working class. And this kind

No disagreement here. But as I just said, the effects of that work will be seen only in the next generation. This is how long it took for the so-called Reagan "revolution" to come to its full fruition.

Wojtek