[lbo-talk] Dennis Perrin makes Gawker!

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Feb 24 06:13:10 PST 2005

<http://www.gawker.com/news/media/commentary/index.php#the-wisdom-of-video-store-clerks-033971>

The Wisdom of Video Store Clerks

Author and blogger Dennis Perrin offers this bit of video store clerk brilliance in the second of his series of heartfelt Hunter S. Thompson tributes:

Went to the local off-campus vid store with the crazy idea that I might rent "Breakfast With Hunter", last year's docu showing some of Thompson's private world, along with archival clips. Certainly The Kids will have snagged the DVD by now, I thought. Amazingly, no. There it was, sitting next to Nick Broomfield's "Biggie & Tupac", defiant gonzo fist for all to see. Didn't know whether to be thankful or pissed. Why wasn't this out? Why isn't some college sophomore smoking a bowl and taking in HST's run for Aspen sheriff in 1970?

Ah, well. Mine now. Take it to the counter where the lanky, nerdy, smart hip kids hang, listening to soft techno, trading poses.

"Hey man!" one says to me. "Did you know that guy killed himself yesterday?"

Stare at him for a beat. "Yes. That's why I'm renting it."

"Oh yeah. Maybe you should buy it."

"I probably will. But for now borrowing's fine."

"Cool." Who said those video store guys don't know their shit?

Lone Hunter [Red State Son] <http://redstateson.blogspot.com/2005/02/lone-hunter.html>