[lbo-talk] The Military, the Church, and the Police

Michael Dawson MDawson at pdx.edu
Thu Feb 24 10:29:47 PST 2005

> That may be -- but I've never seen any evidence for it. The claim is
> that individual A + individual B + Individual C ...."a lot of separate
> individuals" each shows a certain psychological profile. There are also
> innumerable different kinds of "authoritarian politics." One kind simply
> frowns on people slaughtering off each other for the hell of it. Etc.
>
> I don't know what effect evangelical religion has on politics, and I've
> never seen any argument of the question that doesn't boil down to a
> sort of maundering literary criticism which reads from the existence of
> texts to the existence of 10s of millions of separate individuals and
> their actions.
>
> Actually, all this caterwauling about evangelicals et cetera is boring
> because it suggests no political response at all except more
> caterwauling.
>
> Carrol

Yes, friends, please stop your "caterwauling" about trying to understand evangelicals. CC doesn't understand it, and when he sees the topic come up, he knows it's just more caterwauling. And, remember: When he says you're a caterwaulerer, he's being scientific, because we all know he doesn't attribute motives to others.

Get back to _Paradise Lost_. That, plus a few more 5,000-Worker Marches so we can survey our numbers, will turn the Motor of History back on for us.