[lbo-talk] Re: poor, white and pisssed

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Thu Feb 24 11:16:59 PST 2005

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005, Jordan Hayes wrote:

> I hear ya. I was recently talking to a friend of mine who grew up in a
> blue-collar urban environment (Western NY, actually!) and who now lives in a
> suburb of said city and I asked her why she voted for Bush. She gave me four
> sort of tame answers; but added up, they did seem to tip the scales toward W.
>
> By a little, but still. I mean, Kerry is no prince.
>
> But: only if they were true.
>
> When I refuted each of them with analysis and sources, she came back with:
> huh, well looks like I made a mistake.
>
> D'oh.

Given my passionate fetish for evidence and reason as the basis of decisions, that really makes me wonder about the possibility of effective democracy in our society. If people don't have the basic facts right, how can they make informed decisions?

I cringe to suggest this, but are some kind of voter qualification tests necessary?

Miles