[lbo-talk] The Rapture Index & "white trash"

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Thu Feb 24 15:34:25 PST 2005

DSR wrote:

> We have "evangelical" Methodists, Presbyterians, Episcolpalians and
> Catholics in these communities, and they are *not* underground or in
> hiding. They are out in the open, large and growing. Honest, I do
> believe the large "evangelical Presbyterian" church sprung up
> overnight. These things go up faster than cheap strip centers ... oh
> wait...they spring up in strip centers, too!

Hey, come out and visit me here in Leawood, Kansas. I'll show you Six Flags over Jesus, which is a huge Methodist church and development a few miles from me. Last year they opened their "interim" facility which cost them $26 million to construct. I got to take a tour of the place while it was being finished last summer. A truly amazing facility, including a wing of 30 state-of-the-art *sunday school* classrooms. The classroom wing alone would be the envy of any urban poor family with children. The main chapel seats over 4,000 auditorium style.

Yes, you heard me right. Interim facility. My sister was flabbergasted when she found that out the other day. The church plans to build an even bigger facility at the end of this decade.

> And as I've stated in the past - as has Kelly and others - these
> churches are attracting doctors, lawyers and upper level management
> who want to commune with the politicized GOP office holders in these
> red states. And whether or not they personally believe, hook, line
> and sinker, the whole mythic horror show, they certainly choose to
> sustain it, support it and, in all likelihood, profit from it.

Methodists are traditionally liberal, right? Is the appeal of most of these mega-churches the social scene?

Speaking of whacked-out mega churches--we also have the interesting Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints temple in Independence, Mo. The rumor has it that when Jesus returns he will slide down the spire of this temple and then drive away in the gold Cadillac they have waiting for his return.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community_of_Christ

Chuck