[lbo-talk] The Rapture Index & "white trash"

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Thu Feb 24 16:36:41 PST 2005

>Deborah wrote:
>Wow, are you still in Mississippi?

No I live in LA - have for some time now. I do go back and visit the Mississippi delta which is kind of like the socialite portion of Mississippi. It is not growing there. If anything the population is shrinking. Maybe the delta is a throwback in time or a place out of time but I see none of the kind of religious conversion you, Kelley, or Pugliese are writing about. The churches are pretty much the same, the congregations pretty much the same except that the children have grown up and have children. So this transformation in other parts of the south is something I have not witnessed first hand. It is not that I don't believe your experience.

Marta