[lbo-talk] UFPJ Leadership Funks Out

snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Feb 24 17:25:08 PST 2005

But, you'd agree that "predilections" here don't necessarily mean that wanting to bring the troops home translates into support for the antiwar movement, much less actually joining it in any serious way. So, it's really not answering Doug's jab.

Pug mentioned differences between now and VN. There are serious issues, here, such as economic insecurity, longer working hours, more married women and mothers in the workforce, a standard of living that usually requires two incomes, higher standards of living, with 50% of the population attending college and more wanting to go (as opposed to a VN era where only 25% of the population went to college), higher (much higher!) health care costs, fewer social supports, the list goes on.

In the VN war era, you also had the dramatic effect of the baby boom population, which simply filled the nation with many more people at a stage in their life where they may have had more time and inclination to join antiwar efforts.

And, probably most important, a completely different military structure. Back then, you had returning vets who were the bulwark of the movement. Today, we don't see as much of that. Some of it also has to do with who they're recruiting to serve: reservists who are often older than VN era vets, men and women with jobs and families and committments that make it far more difficult for them to flip the bird at authority.

These are all structural factors that make organizing difficult and I'd look at them way before I'd look at movement leaders who, as you know, work their asses off.

>The population is more in favor of bringing the troops home than ever
>before, according to the Harris poll:
>
><...>

"We live under the Confederacy. We're a podunk bunch of swaggering pious hicks."

--Bruce Sterling