[lbo-talk] Eric, Bruce, & Bill

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Feb 25 07:30:26 PST 2005

<http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=90&e=6&u=/ep/20050222/en_bpiep/altermanjournalismobsessedbycrap>

In answer to a question about presidential speechwriters, ["media commentator and historian" Eric] Alterman revealed he once wrote a speech for President Bill Clinton (news - web sites) -- a one-minute talk for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. "I did it because I wanted Bill Clinton to refer to Bruce Springsteen (news) as 'The Man.' And he did, I got Bill Clinton to call Bruce Springsteen 'The Man.'"

(In an email to E&P Tuesday, Alterman said it would be more accurate to say he "worked on" rather than wrote the Clinton remarks. Alterman also noted he had mentioned the speechwriting previously in his "Altercation" blog on MSNBC.com.)