[lbo-talk] The Military, the Church, and the Police

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Fri Feb 25 13:57:37 PST 2005

>Doug wrote:
>The European countries polled have small militaries, many of them
>staffed by draftees, that don't do all that much abroad. We have a
>large professional military that regularly bombs and invades other
>countries. The populations polled are respecting very different
>things. And, according to Gallup, 40% of Americans think that our
>"national defense" isn't "strong enough." Our favorite service
>branch is the most bellicose, the most disciplined, and the most
>likely to invade: the Marines.
>
>Doug

The professional military is likely to get worse. Conservative pundit Max Boot had a commentary in the LA Times recently about what to do about the troops shortage. In short, he said recruit from all over the world - take those desperate to escape poverty and uniform them up. That would be an international force that the US could run without the need to get approval from the EU.

So no matter what Americans did, it would seem, the US would keep its military at the top of the heap.

Marta --