[lbo-talk] Re: polls as scientific form of prayer?

frank scott frank at marin.cc.ca.us
Fri Feb 25 14:04:50 PST 2005

"We have a large professional military that regularly bombs and invades other countries."

does it do that of its own volition?

were the people who expressed support or confidence for the military in that poll asked:

do you support the regular bombing and invading of other countries?

"Our favorite service branch is the most bellicose, the most disciplined, and the most likely to invade: the Marines."

again, would, could, does this" bellicose, disciplined " gang operate on its own?

seriously, how many here have been in the military, and if so, lived it as a growth experience, kind of like what middle class kids get by going away to college?

of course there's a difference, since going to college doesn't just mean living away from mom and dad, as they usually send checks when money is needed, but the fact is that many working class men, and women, actually mature during the years they spend in the military...as well as get an education, health care, learn social responsibility to something other than self, etc...

and few, if any, join in order to "regularly bomb and invade other countries" ... that is the responsibility of their civilian, political rulers, most of whom have never been in the military, and if so, only as officers and not rank and file...

this poll, like all others, is open to the interpretation of the pollsters and everyone else...it can almost prove (?) whatever we want it to prove...kind of like giving religion, faith, a sort of scientific veneer, but there's alot more belief involved in polling results and interpretation than some want to accept...

fs