[lbo-talk] The Military, the Church, and the Police

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Fri Feb 25 16:52:04 PST 2005

> > The Bush solution is to give the churches government money to run
>> their "moral" church-based welfare services as he cuts back
>> traditional gov't services.
>> Marta
>
>What's the latest view on that from some of the leaders of the
>religious right? Has it changed? During Bush's last term, Falwell
>and Robertson were leery of the faith-based initiatives out of
>concern that the government could be in a position to tell them how
>to run their religious programs.
>
> - Deborah

I haven't read anything recently. One objection the Robertson/Falwell and their ilk camps had was that federal dollars must follow federal laws -- like civil rights, for instance that secular organizations pretty much had incorporated into their operations. Some churches like to hire their "own kind." But if they accepted faith based dollars they would have to meet nondiscrimination clauses in all civil rights codes including hiring practices and the Disability Act which would require their facilities to be wheelchair and otherwise accessible. I'm not sure if they have wiggled their way out of that or are stuck with it. I would think they would have to abide. But if the evangelicals and born agains have all that money people were posting earlier, why would these stumbling blocks really matter to them when they have all those souls to save? Anyway it is very difficult for a potential employee to prove employment discrimination cases and they'd have the money to fight any action against them in court.

Marta --