[lbo-talk] The Military, the Church, and the Police

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Feb 26 08:17:28 PST 2005

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com, Fri Feb 25 09:07:21 PST 2005
>>DSR wrote:
>>
>>>America is choking off the need by Leftists to understand where
>>>common ground can be found, e.g., Yoshie's citations regarding
>>>similar economic concerns among evangelicals and leftists.
>>
>>A lot of which may be reflecting the opinions of black evangelicals -
>
>See "Table 7: Republican Identification By Income and Religion,
>Whites Only" on page 54 (McCarty, Poole, and Rosenthal,
><http://www.cbrss.harvard.edu/events/encounters/papers/MPRchapter3.pdf>).

Which shows nothing about the effects of black evangelicals on answers to economic questions. It shows, unsurprisingly, that Republican identification rises with income, and that born-againers are more likely to be Reps than non-b.a.'ers at any income level.

Those strengths don't extend to class consciousness. The conclusion to the NYT story on the Wal-Mart union vote in Colorado <http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/26/politics/26walmart.html?pagewanted=print&position=>: