[lbo-talk] more Not Dead Yet

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 26 12:00:47 PST 2005

> DISABLED ACTIVISTS PROTEST AT THE OSCARS
>
> **HOLLYWOOD**, California Disabled activists and members of the
> national Not Dead Yet grassroots disability rights organization are
> poised to hold a press conference at 2 PM, February 27th , 2005, in
> front of the Kodak Theater at 6801 Hollywood Blvd. prior to the start of
> the annual Academy Awards. They are protesting the Academy's nomination
> of what they call ¤the most bigoted and loaded "better dead than
> disabled¤" movie "Million Dollar Baby"?.
>
> "The biggest problem with Million Dollar Baby is that some of the
> audience will be newly disabled people, their family members and
> friends, swept along in the critically acclaimed emotion that the
> kindest response to someone struggling with the life changes brought on
> by a severe injury is, after all, to kill them," says Diane Coleman,
> Founder of Not Dead Yet.
>
> "We're not better off dead than disabled!" says local
> Not Dead Yet organizer, Lillibeth Navarro. "Really good movies are
> about exploring the struggles and triumphs of living with a disability,
> not romanticizing the hatred for dealing with it!"

Am I wrong in thinking there was more to the issue presented in the film in that Eastwood has made comments in the past about death being preferable to disability? He also opposes the Americans With Disabilities Act and I believe has used his celebrity status to speak out against it. Someone correct me if this is wrong but it is what I have been told by a few local activists and if it inaccurate I'd like to know.

John Thornton