[lbo-talk] Million Dollar Baby gets disability dead wrong

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Sat Feb 26 21:39:11 PST 2005

I went to see "Million $ Baby" mostly because I like to watch Hillary Swank act, and because she goes for non-stereotypedl roles, which is interesting. I wasn't going to post anything to the list about it because I didn't want to give away the ending. Well, that has already happened, so I can write now.

I left the movie fairly disturbed, not because of its misrepresentation of life after disability (I am too ignorant to be upset by that) but because of the other tale it told. I'll sum it all up for those who haven't seen the movie.

Swank, a "white trash" thirty something shows up in Eastwood's boxing gym eager to be trained as a boxer. Eastwood declines repeatedly, but eventually takes her on. Morgan Freeman, Eastman's Friday and boxing gym janitor, tells Swank that Eastwood is shy to train another fighter because of what happened when Freeman was a fighter himself (under Eastwood's coaching)....he fought too long, and wound up losing sight in one eye. Eastwood blames himself for this, but not so much that he is willing to do very much more for Freeman than to let him mop floors in his gym.

Swank works very, very hard....just like in all the Hollywood biopics: the calendar pages turn, she punches the bag harder and harder, she starts winning bout after bout. Finally, she gets set up to fight a German woman, who is known to fight dirty, for a million dollars. The woman lands an illegal punch when Swank isn't looking. Swank falls, breaks her neck, is paralyzed from the neck down, and is finally "mercy" killed by Eastwood -- who is tough enough to kill the one he loves.

The movie is basically a riff on the rags-to-riches story but hardly a critique of its logic. You are rich or you might as well be dead. Swank and Freeman are presented as worthy aspirants & Eastwood as the middle-white-professional man who can help make it happen if the grunts are willing to work hard enough, to suffer enough, and to want it hard enough. Nothing new here.

But this is no Rocky. If "Rocky" was the bugle call for the white working class "hero" to claim his own again, if it presaged the Horowitzes of our time, the hero of "Million $ Baby" is actually Eastwood, and what is being celebrated here is his betrayal of both Freman and Swank....though, of course, his betrayal is not portrayed as a betrayal but as a salvation.

If Easwood stands in for the managerial layer of the working class, what this movie tells us is that in response to the innocent faith and brutal work of Swank, the greatest thing that her "boss" can do is to liberate her right out of this world. And though the movie pits Eastwood against the conventional religiosity of the Catholic church -- it is clear that the solution he offers the disabled Swanke is meant to be understood as a "higher" solution than that allowed by the church itself, and therefore in a sense, also holy.

All in all, a very scary message.

Joanna