[lbo-talk] "Honey, I shrunk the dollar"

Colin Brace cwb at lim.nl
Sun Feb 27 06:05:24 PST 2005

I assume this appeared first in the NYT. Interesting to see concern about US financial health and talk of "bursting bubbles" slowly percolating into the mainstream consciousness and/or the brain of TLF...

February 24, 2005

Honey, I shrunk the dollar

By THOMAS L. FRIEDMAN

I have just one question about President Bush's trip to Europe: Did he and Laura go shopping?

If they did, I would love to have been a fly on the wall when Laura must have said to George: "George, do you remember how much these Belgian chocolates cost when we were here four years ago? This box of mints was $10. Now it's $15? What happened to the dollar, George? Why is the euro worth so much more now, honey? Didn't Rummy say Europe was old? If we didn't have Air Force One, we never could have afforded this trip on your salary!"

The dollar is falling! The dollar is falling! But the Bush team has basically told the world that unless the markets make the falling dollar into a full-blown New York Stock Exchange crisis and trade war, it is not going to raise taxes, cut spending or reduce oil consumption in ways that could really shrink our budget and trade deficits and reverse the dollar's slide.

This administration is content to let the dollar fall and bet that the global markets will glide the greenback lower in an "orderly" manner.

Right. Ever talk to someone who trades currencies? "Orderly" is not always in the playbook. I make no predictions, but this could start to get very "disorderly."

[...]

Full text: http://service.spiegel.de/cache/international/0,1518,343449,00.html