[lbo-talk] Lynne Stewart speaks

John Adams jadams01 at sprynet.com
Sun Feb 27 09:53:15 PST 2005

On Feb 21, 2005, at 11:10 PM, mike larkin wrote:

> --- John Adams <jadams01 at sprynet.com> wrote:
>

>> You know, what this reminds me of is when Jello
>> Biafra got popped for
>> obscenity in the mid-eighties. There was a big
>> tendency for people to
>> start off their "defense" of Jello by saying, "Okay,
>> his music sucks,
>> but..." It was just a way of attacking him, kicking
>> him while he was
>> down, and it really, really pissed me off.
>>
>> Aid and comfort indeed,
>>
>> John A
>>
> For the record, his music does suck.

Twenty years ago was not the time to have this discussion. Now, I'm fine with it.

I didn't care for the Dead Kennedys when I first heard their records, nor when I first saw them in the summer of '83, but when I saw them at Republicon '84 in Dallas, I was sold--that was one of the greatest live performances I'd ever seen. Subsequently, I got really, really in to _Frankenchrist_--but I did write a comparative review of it and the Mellencamp album that came out at the same time, in which I said that, while _Frankenchrist_ was a hell of a good record Mellencamp had done a better job of both music and politics. (True fact: I was listening to the track describing the Trans-Am wreck a Joe Theismann got his leg broken, over and over, on Monday Night Football.)

All the best,

John A