[lbo-talk] Re: MDB and Seeing Films

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Feb 27 17:03:53 PST 2005

Brian Charles Dauth wrote:

> > What I find interesting is your use of film analysis to see things
> that the ordinary viewer simply might not notice, let alone be
> influenced by.
>
> They may not see these things, but I think they are influenced by
> them.

Here Brian states the premise that has been the (very uncertain) foundation of the self-esteem of literary critics and literature professors for well over a century. "Our" work in pointing out niceties counts because those niceties allegedly affect all or most readers even though they don't recognize them. I've always been skeptical on the point.

On a literature e-list I once I once suggested that literary works had their major influence as topics of conversation, and some of the others were shocked right down to their toes.

Carrol