[lbo-talk] Why We Protest M$B

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Sun Feb 27 17:44:27 PST 2005

Why We Protest By W.C.Cleigh

Many do not understand why disabled activists are protesting Million Dollar Baby. Even some disability studies students agree with mainstream critiques of the movie, finding it "poignant and heart wrenching." In this, they express an utter lack of understanding of disability activists' objections to M$B.

The very fact that such movie viewers and reviewers found M$B "heart wrenching " and sympathize with the "decision" to kill the disabled character, makes it obvious that they are functioning from the ableist (aka Mainstream) paradigm of disability rather than seeing disability from the paradigm of disability pride/disability culture. This is very likely not any individuals' (personal) fault. It is a fact, as Irv Zola observed, that ableism is "metabolized in the bloodstream of society." I would not even blame `Dirty Harry' for his ableism were he not taking a role very like that George Wallace played vis a vis an earlier movement to end discrimination.

It is unfortunately true that since what is happening in America and much ofthe world today is in fact a paradigm shift, those who see the world from theviewpoint of disability culture need no explanation of why M$B is an atrocity while for those who do not, it may well be that no explanation will suffice.

Perhaps an analogy will help. For this to be understandable, and inoffensive to other minorities, it must be understood that I am Cherokee although many think that my appearance (coloration, etc.) is European. Picture a movie, perhaps set in the late 19th century for believability, in which someone like me finds out about her `Indian' heritage - or is `outed' - as an adult. She is then sent to what is essentially a prison - say a reservation in this analogy. All of her belongings are confiscated and virtually every stereotype of the `squaw' is imposed upon her. Now assume that this movie portrays her committing suicide rather than protesting her imprisonment/degradation, despite the fact that the filmmakers `set up' her character as the feisty, fighter type when she was assumed to be white. Now visualize her enlisting the `aid' of one of her white `friends' to kill her. Would most Americans still find it "heart wrenching?" Would they still `appreciate' the decision to end her life? Now assume that it is opening to critical acclaim and looks to be a box office smash and an academy award winner. Would mainstream viewers and reviewers understand/support Native American activists protesting it?

The problem, of course, with such analogies is that when applied to any other minority "better dead than." makes little sense. Yet "better dead than disabled" is not only immediately recognizable, it is such a part of ableist oppression that the reasons we object are rendered opaque. We are not the only minority to suffer genocide. We are, however, the only one that is expected to beg for a place in the cattle car.

Some have assumed that Clint Eastwood's involvement in M$B is the sole reason for disability protests against the movie. While it is certainly not the sole reason it is nevertheless a good one. Mr. Eastwood not only defended a perfectly justified ADA suit (over a $6.5 million renovation to his resort that left all future guests in wheelchairs without a washroom they could enter), he did it in a most smarmy manner. It is my understanding that, among other things, he avoided being served notice of the suit for more than 2 years. This demonstrates that his zealous support for the ADA Notification Act (which would require 90 days notice before ADA complaints could be filed) is disingenuous in the extreme. He knows that all he'd have to do were it in effect is avoid being served and he could never be sued again - thus eviscerating an already far too weak law. He is openly ableist and proud of it. He is doing his utmost to block the civil rights of disabled people. Thus comparing him to Gov. Wallace is, I think, appropriate.

So here's my suggestion to all who found M$B `heart wrenching' rather than stomach wrenching: decide which paradigm you will occupy. Those who wish to stay in the ableist paradigm and attempt to hide behind a veil of ignorance can expect to draw fire from those disability activists who are not patient with ableists. For those who wish to shift their paradigm and enter the world of disability pride and disability culture, a journey awaits. Please; however, be prepared to have your deepest assumptions about disability, the relationship between disabled and non-disabled people and indeed, the nature of social relationships in general challenged. One of the very exciting things going on today is that disabled people are challenging not only the oppression that we have suffered for millennia, but the very basis of oppression in society. We are asking questions about the fundamental nature of hierarchies and human nature and challenging society to see what my people call the sacred hoop (or circle) - the interconnectedness of life and particularly how interconnected human beings really are and how very much it diminishes us all to assume that any life is valueless