[lbo-talk] Russia's foreign policy challenges

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Mon Feb 28 09:03:52 PST 2005

Chris Doss wrote:

>uvj at vsnl.com wrote:

>>Even worse scenario is Musharraf being overthrown by
>>Al-Qaeda sympathisers in the Pakistani army.
>>Musharraf has already survived narrowly three
>>assasination attempts in less than two years.

>Yes that would be a nightmare scenario. I wouldn't
>trust an Islamist with access to a cotton ball, much
>less a nuke.

US has a contigency plan for Pakistan, in case AQ sympathisers capture power there.I don't know, whether that would involve US seizing Pakistani nukes. Does Russia have any plan?

>The further Islamists stay away from
>power or access to _anything_, the better. Well, the
>Iranians are OK, but they're kind of old-fashioned
>1970s Islamists.

Iranians being shias are against wahabis and are anti-taliban, anti bin laden.

>>Any truth to the claims, as far as you know, that the
>>ISI is funding (or has funded) the Islamists in Chechnya?

I haven't read anything about ISI funding Chechnyans terrorists, but can't rule that out. But Pakistan itself seems to be heading for a major political crisis.

Ulhas