[lbo-talk] Re: Million Dollar Baby gets disability dead wrong

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Mon Feb 28 10:37:29 PST 2005

>Brian wrote:
>It is also interesting that a film about a singer with
>diabilities (in this case blindness and drug-addiction)
>who changed the music business and is regarded as
>one of the greatest entertainers of all time has been
>ingnored in this flap over disability rights.
>
>But I forgot. "Ray" is about a diabled BLACK man.
>Can't go praising that film can we now.
>
>Brian Dauth
>Queer Buddhist Resister

I was rooting for Ray because I saw there was a healthy choice the Academy could have made. If it had given to Ray what it gave to Eastwood, some hope would be affirmed for Hollywood. Alas, it was not to be. Hollywood prefers to indulge itself -- oh the tears that must have been flowing when Swank does her exit scene. They love to see a disabled character display the characteristics that act out their prejudices. If M$B had not had the euthanasia moment, I believe Ray would have won. Too bad Eastwood knew how to use his bag of tricks.

What if Ray had been given a lethal dose in his early life? No "Georgia" or the other magnificent songs he wrote would have reached our ears. Marta