[lbo-talk] Russia/foreign policy/ Pakistan

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Mon Feb 28 10:47:07 PST 2005

> uvj at vsnl.com:
>
> US has a contigency plan for Pakistan, in case AQ
> sympathisers capture power there.I don't know, whether
> that would involve US seizing Pakistani nukes. Does
> Russia have any plan?
>
> --
> Not that I know of. I don't see what Russia could do
> -- Russia doesn't have any troops in the area.
> (Theoretically I suppose it could send it special
> forces/OMON men.) If those nukes were ever used, it
> would probably be Russia in third place after India
> and Israel as a target, so it is a pretty alarming
> thought.

The US government also had contingency plans for mail delivery after a "nucular" attack on the US. Such plans are more of "peace of mind" fetishes (no pun intended) than something that can produce tangible results. If seizing "nucular" weapons in a commando-style operation was feasible, would not the countries possessing them took steps to prevent such an action? Just think about the botched raid to free hostages in Teheran.

Another question - does Pakistan have the capacity to deliver "nucular" war heads to vital centers in Russia or even Israel, which involves the distance of 1500-2000 miles?

For countries like Pakistan, the most effective "use" of nucular weapons is as a threat - for their actual use is tantamount with suicide without even mortally wounding the enemy. Russia or even India would obliterate Pakistan if attacked by it, yet the damage they could sustain from such an attack, while serious, would not seriously weaken them.

Wojtek