[lbo-talk] Re: one day "shopping" boycott

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Sat Jan 1 16:52:35 PST 2005

Seth Ackerman wrote:

>> How many potential converts have looked at this publication and
>> dropped it
>> with nausea? How much better could the decent energies Adbusters corrals
>> and directs be spent? Some and much, IMHO.
>

> I agree with a lot of this. But one thing I like about Adbusters is
> their understanding of the importance of design and aesthetics. It's a
> nice magazine to look at.

I never read Adbusters, but I know that it popular among young anti-capitalists and that it sells well on the newstand.

Give me a well-designed, fun publication like Adbusters to reach new converts over the usual ugly leftist fare.

We've had this discussion several times before. One important lesson I learned in sculpture is that presentation matters. If your magazine is ugly, or if you have crappy editing, few people are going to pay attention to you or your message.

Chuck