[lbo-talk] Iraqi Rebels Say They're Fighting To Prevent Gay Marriage

Stephen E Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Sat Jan 1 18:29:02 PST 2005

Michael Pugliese wrote: A good two years ago Doug in an exchange w/ you noted that Ba'athist thuggery killed thousands of leftists and Kurds and you reply that since Dubya 'sez this, we mustn't reinforce their case for war.

--huh? what is this, more of the 'make up nonsense about lefists you disagree with?' you've been reading too much of geras, cooper, and hitch, this habit of misinterpreting, then reinterpreting, then arguing with that reinterpretation of a person's arguments is getting to be on a par with the holy trinity it looks like. I have said, and I stand by it, that Baathist thuggery, killings of Kurds, etc. had nothing to do with the reasons why the US went to war against the Iraqis. I'd stand by that assertion. The rest is the product of an anti-sectarian sectarian imagination gone wild. And I stand by my assertion that Klein is not one millionth responsible for the level or types of violence that have emerged since the US invaded Iraq and occupied it to date. steve