[lbo-talk] Missing the Marx

Michael Dawson mdawson at pdx.edu
Sun Jan 2 12:57:04 PST 2005

How about Haiti and Cuba, Luke? Or is that anathema because Chomsky mentions it?

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Luke Weiger Sent: Sunday, January 02, 2005 10:49 AM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Missing the Marx

> And who else has? It's remarkable how little change there's been in
> the global hierarchy over the last 100 years. The major exceptions
> are in East Asia. So it's kind of remarkable that the comparison
> between the USSR and the West is even made. Substitute Brazil or
> India for the USSR and see how funny it sounds.
>
> Doug

Precisely why the best comparisons are between West Germany and the DDR and South Korea and North Korea. Still, it's worth noting that the sample sizes are awfully small here. It doesn't suffice to say that a command economy can't work (and by "work" I mean produce Western levels of affluence) simply because one never has.

-- Luke