[lbo-talk] Missing the Marx

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Sun Jan 2 16:39:46 PST 2005

>>> how we'll get beyond a petroleum-based energy system.
>>
>> I think you're gonna need a lot more than planning to get
>> this one done.
>
> Firing squads, no doubt.

Maybe I shouldn't have been so flip. What I mean is, while we dream of a hydrogen future, oil remains cheap, plentiful, and simple (relative to everything else, of course). If there's a firing squad involved, I'd suggest starting with the combination of a) the (nascent) nuclear industry of the 60s and 70s which bobbled their once-in-a-lifetime chance to take us all in a different direction; and b) the "no nukes" "movement" that (probably?) killed off any chance of ever giving anyone another chance to make nuclear power work.

How about an "X-Prize" for safe(er than oil), cheap(er than oil), simple(r than oil) nuclear energy?

/jordan