[lbo-talk] The Ontology of Two Chairs (was Reich on sex & religion)

John Kozak j_k_ at xylema.org
Mon Jan 3 02:38:23 PST 2005

joanna bujes writes:

> > I don't know him; does he argue that 2+2=4 can be false? If so, I like

> > to see the argument; it would be fascinating.

> Well, in base 3, the argument wouldn't be false, it would be

> nonsensical.

But it isn't _in_ base three, any more than your above sentence is in German.

> The idea that "mathematics" is the language of

> nature was born in the sixteenth century and has now become part of

> "common sense." But this does not make it true.

"reborn" perhaps, but Pythagoras said it a long time before then. Being part of common sense doesn't make something wrong, either!

[...]

> > I don't know any phenomenologists who have this relativistic view of

> > mathematics you are trying to uphold; Husserl certainly didn't, as far

> > as I can tell.

> Think about the following:

[examples snipped]

A couple of points: mathematics isn't arithmetic, and your examples don't constitute some sort of alternatives to our mathematics, but are things that sit snugly within it.

> This is not relativism. It is the observation that mathematics is not a

> single thing....it is one or many collections of rules and precepts

> having to do with the classification and manipulation of numbers,

> shapes, collections, and spaces... which produce the most diverse

> results and realities. Some mathematical entities vary with culture,

> some vary with historical development, and I am arguing that there is no

> vantage point from which you could say this mathematical model is wrong,

> this one is right.

An internally inconsistent mathematical model is certainly wrong! And Gödel showed that much folk (meta-)mathematics was wrong, as you quote below. My main objection here is crypto-practical: I trust mathematics to carry my weight much more than I do metaphysics.

> See Godel on the "truth" of mathematics.

It's wildly unfair to claim that Gödel's result puts scare quotes round the truth of mathematical propositions.

John