[lbo-talk] Re: Missing the Marx

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at dodo.com.au
Mon Jan 3 15:57:31 PST 2005

At 6:43 PM -0500 2/1/05, Brian Charles Dauth wrote:

>As for reading the thread about markets, I must confess that
>to my unschooled eyes it has consisted of more heat than light.
>Doug resigned from the debate saying that the question should
>be how to get more planning and less market, but that vague
>declaration (uncharacteristic of Doug) is of little use .
>
>What should be planned? What areas should not be? Who
>gets to make these decisions?

Exactly! The alternatives aren't markets or planning, the question should be whether economic questions are settled in the interests of the ruling class, or in the interests of the people. Planning can be dictatorial or democratic.

> Should the production of art
>and sexual implements and pornography come under planning?
>Isn't it dangerous for a group to have control over planning
>whether it is through wealth or because they are some supposed
>revolutionary cadre?

Good questions.

> Doesn't history demonstrate that most
>groups, once they got decision-making power, went power
>happy/mad?

You're asking the right questions, so you are probably qualified to try answering the questions as well. Give it a go, rather than just asking questions rhetorically, who do you reckon should make economic decisions? Hint: depends on the outcomes you desire.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas