[lbo-talk]The Ontology of Two Chairs (was Reich on sex & religion)

Jon Johanning zenner41 at mac.com
Tue Jan 4 07:19:01 PST 2005

On Jan 3, 2005, at 6:22 PM, Eubulides wrote:

> And when was the last time you heard of a school of philosophers
> *describe
> themselves* as postmodernists holding silly positions?

I haven't. Who would describe themselves that way? But we can't always take people's self-descriptions as gospel -- otherwise, Shrub would really be a "compassionate conservative."

> You read like you're channeling Andre' Kukla. :-)

Don't know him. I'm not completely conversant with all the literature in this area, because it's not high on my priority list of ways to spend my free time, and I don't have a lot of such time.

> And don't even get me started on the amenability of the philosophers/no
> philosophers distinction to sorites paradoxe[s]........:-)

Sure, there are "borderline cases," but if you take philosophy as the tradition beginning with Socrates and running through you-know-who to folks like Moore, Russell, and Davidson, I think it's fairly clear who is a philosopher and who isn't. :-)

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________

From Translation all science had its offspring.

      -Giordano Bruno (quoted by John Florio, 1603)