[lbo-talk] Re: Questions for Pugliese & Dolgoff on theCubanEconomy

lweiger at umich.edu lweiger at umich.edu
Tue Jan 4 07:47:35 PST 2005

Quoting Michael Dawson <mdawson at pdx.edu>:

> You outdo yourself here in twisting both reality and questions to suit your
> perverse worldview, whatever it is. If you think you can compare Cuba's
> opportunity to thrive with South Korea's and West Germany, you are simply
> ignorant.

I didn't say you could--I have no considered opinion on the topic. I suggested that NK and EG had an opportunity to achieve something close to first world status given that their their capitalist twins managed to do so. None of the of the purportedly important differences between the sets of twins strikes me as anywhere near significant enough to account for the obvious developmental differences--except for the respective economic models employed. But, as I said before, the sample size is small and hardly covers the entire range of possible forms a command economy could take.

> In fact, your doubling over to sustain your prejudices leads you
> into this originally off-topic comparison,

Cuba vs. Haiti was the off-topic comparison, and even if it wasn't, it was a very poor comparison for reasons that have already been discussed--last year and now within the last week as well.

-- Luke