[lbo-talk] Gore Vidal: Lincoln Was, Like, Totally Gay

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Jan 4 08:43:10 PST 2005

Joanna:
> Here's where folks lose me. Why does this show that Lincoln was gay? Bi
> sexual maybe, if we have to put a label on things. Why do we have to
> label people this way. I think it's really weird.

As Kinsey argued, homosexuality/heterosexuality is not an "either/or" proposition but a continuum measured on a scale 1-10. Most people fall somewhere in between.

However, that notion does not sail very well in the US political discourse that, influenced by Puritanism and racism, prefers to see things in black and white terms.

Wojtek