[lbo-talk] Atheistic religions (Was Reich)

martin mschiller at pobox.com
Tue Jan 4 09:53:06 PST 2005

On Jan 4, 2005, at 7:46 AM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Excellent idea. We've got a friend who runs focus groups for a living
> - maybe she can help us out. What do today's god-users need in a
> deity? What's the proper mix of support and critique? Stern
> disciplinarian or warm bath of friendly light? One god or many? Etc.

My personal choice would be for a god design to contain the 'unknown' - those spaces beyond the extent of our perception - the infinite. I think that a framework might reference 'power' (as in all-powerful) by utilizing the attractive force of pure energy that binds atoms and galaxies within the extent of our perception. I like the circular motif provided by the atoms and celestial bodies and I'd encourage the mathematicians involved in the design to consider describing god in mathematical terms - perhaps a mobius strip wrapping the infinite extremes of space from the miniscule to the largest. It would probably be important to introduce god into the individual human but not by anthropomorphizing god - simply by suggesting that the human body contains the elements of god - the same binding power of pure energy that constitutes all of god.

Martin