[lbo-talk] Affluent Titles Thrive While Consumer Magazines Suffer

snit snat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Jan 4 10:37:16 PST 2005

http://www.writenews.com/cgi-bin/deadzone.pl?zone=1215041

Affluent Titles Thrive While Consumer Magazines Suffer December 15, 2004

Many consumer magazines have gone under over the past two or three years because of weak advertising sales and online competition. Meanwhile, the number of magazines targeting the rich is mushrooming. The number of titles targeting the affluent has grown from 159 titles two years ago to 225 today, according to <http://www.mediafinder.com>MediaFinder, an online database of U.S. and Canadian publications produced by Oxbridge Communications, Inc. "Some niche publications, such as The Robb Report, and Golf Connoisseur that target wealthy consumers, are actually trimming circulation and increasing ad rates as a way to beef up exclusivity," said Deborah Striplin, editor-in-chief of MediaFinder.

"We live under the Confederacy. We're a podunk bunch of swaggering pious hicks."

--Bruce Sterling