[lbo-talk] The Ontology of Two Chairs (was Reich on sex & religion)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Jan 4 10:39:39 PST 2005

Miles Jackson wrote:

> --If you want to say this progress allows us to more and
> more closely approximate "the way things really are", you're engaging
> in wild speculation: all we have is human understanding, so we cannot
> compare our human understanding to how things really are to
> verify that we're more and more closely matching reality with
> our scientific models. --A pretty obvious Nietzschean point, but
> one I've never heard adequately refuted.

Perhaps the 'real' damage that (real and/or rumored) post-modernism has done is to create a scarecrow that panics many into thinking that they will plunge into the abyss of "post-modernism" if they retreat one micrometer from a (disguised) Platonic realism. If the Law isn't absolute, then all human knowledge goes down the drain. The text here is Book 1 of the Republic where Socrates gets Thrasymachus to agree that a mathematician isn't a mathematician when he is making a mistake! No room for contingent knowledge.

Carrol