[lbo-talk] NUP controversy

Jim Westrich westrich at nodimension.com
Tue Jan 4 13:04:22 PST 2005

Quoting Liza Featherstone <lfeather at panix.com>:

> >From the Op-Ed Page of The Boston Globe, Jan. 3, 2005
>
> Is Labor's Mid-Life Crisis Leading To An SEIU Divorce?
>
> By Steve Early

Thanks for posting this important article. I was a happy member/steward of SEIU for many years. While that was not perfect that local was relatively great (nobody like or supported the one or two things I thought were good ideas, but I can live with democratic disagreement), it is head and shoulders above the crappy SEIU/local/restructuring mess we are in today. The only thing our local union does is collect cards and money; as far as I can tell we don't even bother with the formality of elections. (I am really pissed that the local got some limited invites to a national healthcare meeting and none of them went to actual members who work on health policy but instead to office staff who wanted to people watch--"Oh my Gawd, there's Hillary!!").

And don't get me started on the SEIU's love of backroom dealing with Corporate Healthcare Monolith's. Let them eat Prozac!

And yet the AFL-CIO structure is worse and more bloated (which I can sort of appreciate on Keynesian "make work" grounds but that makes for so little transparency and equitable control) . . .

Jim

"I'd love to wear the rainbow everyday, and tell the world that everything's OK ; 'til things are brighter . . "

--Johnny Cash