[lbo-talk] Questions for Pugliese & Dolgoff on the CubanEconomy

Michael Dawson MDawson at pdx.edu
Tue Jan 4 14:42:22 PST 2005

Yes, and in order to prevent rebellion and make sure China and NK were shown up, the U.S. also allowed sweeping post-Korean War land reform in the ROK. As we know, merely proposing the same kind of reform earns people bullets in Latin America.

As John Lie argues in _Han Unbound_, the ROK's quick and radical land reform allowed millions of small farmers, in what was one of the world's poorest nations c. 1953, to subsist decently while the country was being industrialized by the state planners, who were largely drawn from the liquidated landlord class. The land reform allowed for a relatively easy way of slowly converting farmers into urban workers over three decades. All of this was planned by bureaucrats, who intentionally avoided the application of normal "market" forces.