[lbo-talk] Re: blame the south?

Tommy Kelly tkelly15450 at charter.net
Wed Jan 5 10:42:32 PST 2005

>From: "Carl Remick" <carlremick at hotmail.com>
>Subject: RE: [lbo-talk] Re: Gore Vidal: Lincoln Was, Like, Totally Gay
>

>In 2003, for every dollar of federal tax paid by their residents, Alabama
>got $1.69 back from the federal government; Mississippi got $1.83 back; and
>Arkansas got $1.47 back. For every buck of federal tax that their own
>residents paid that year, New York got 80 cents back; Massachusetts got 78
>cents back; and New Jersey got 57 cents back. For all their dislike of
>government, Southerners do quite well off Uncle Sam. See
><http://www.taxfoundation.org/taxingspending.html>
>

>>Anti-intellectual... so why do we have all of these college's and
>>university's?
>>

>Good question. It must have to do with the popularity of fraternities.

You should read that website more clearly before you make an ad hominem about all southerners.

"/'During fiscal 2003, taxpayers in New Mexico benefited the most from the give-and-take with Uncle Sam,' said Moody.... Other big winners were Alaska ($1.89), Mississippi ($1.83), and West Virginia ($1.82)./"

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't New Mexico the South West? Alaska?

"/Though not comparable as a state, the District of Columbia is by far the biggest beneficiary of federal spending:/"

Duh.

Question: If the whinny south is getting such a sweet-heart deal: Why is there so much poverty still in the southeat? "/Federal spending on defense and other procurement dollars are often funneled to the states of powerful Members of Congress/"

Oh yea, defense. I forgot about ol' Newt Gingrich contribution to American politics. Alabama ex-govenor giving a tax break to Mercedes, and now Honda. Oh who am I kidding, we southerners are filthy rich. We "common folks" burn 100 dollar bills for shits and giggles.