[lbo-talk] Re: R.I.P. Billy James Hargis

Seth Kulick skulick at linc.cis.upenn.edu
Wed Jan 5 19:33:47 PST 2005

> Message: 3
> Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 18:15:54 -0700
> From: "Michael Pugliese" <michael098762001 at earthlink.net>
> Subject: [lbo-talk] R.I.P. Billy James Hargis
> To: lbo-talk <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org>
>
> Somehow I missed that one of the most colorful characters of far right
> Christian fundamentalist anti-Communism died in late Nov. The Economist in
> their XMAS issue I saw today has a nice two pg. obit. w/ the spicy details
> of his bisexual sex scandal w/ students. One st8 couple on the night after
> they were married discovered that both of them had done the wild thaaang
> w/ Billy. Great quote from Hargis in the piece, "I was guilty of sin, but
> not the sin I was accused of."

Thanks for the update. I am holding in my hands one of my prized posessions, a copy of "Rhythm, Riots and Revolution" by David A. Noebel, 1966, Christian Crusade Publications. I think the later Marxist Minstrels was an update of this, but I'm not sure. It's got a drawing of Dylan on the cover (probably based on a photo from Newport '65, although I'm not sure), with quotes from Pete Seeger ("Workingmen of all tongues unite. You have nothing to lose but your chains. You have a world to win. Vive la Revolution sociale"), Joan Baez ("The Star Spangled Banner is just so much trash"), Dylan ("I want my woman dirty, looking as though I'd just found her in some alley..It triggers the animal emotion"), and Phil Ochs ("The Vietcong are right..We should support Ho Chi Minh..."). And on the back is a picture of Noebel and Hargis, with a sizable blurb from Hargis endorsing "America's most needed book of 1966".